Earthquake and Tsunami Hoax: The Story Behind and Some FACTS
(appologies. no offense but in this post I might get sarcastic or emotionally overreacting XD)
It was since yesterday that, I was planning to post about Valentines (hehe)
but now here I am again blabbering on a much bigger issue that had happened yesterday here in our city, Cebu.
In many years, Cebu was considered a NON-Earthquake Prone area….
but yesterday was at its first!
Yes, the news about the Earthquake was something we should be concerned of…
BUT this Earthquake issue dwells more as a bigger issue in Negros.
Why do I think so? Below are some facts…
Negros is an island located next to Cebu in the Western part of the Visayan Region in the Philippine archaepelago.
The epicenter center of the Earthquake was located near Tayasan town in Negros Oriental with the magnitude of 6.7.
“Meanwhile, the US Geological Survey website placed the epicenter of the earthquake at 46.6 kilometers deep, 80 km west, southwest of Cebu City.”
Thus, (according to PHIVOLCS7 Representative Mr. Robinson at GMA7 Cebu local news live) intensity felt in Cebu was only at level 5. Cebu was a bit far from it… in Bisaya pa “pisik ra ang atoa”.
Moreover, by PHIVOLCS7, “Magnitude is energy released from the point of origin” while ‘‘Intensity is measured based on damage and response”. And at mose cases, intensity level 5 actually won’t do any damage nor harm. (Not really much something to worry about isn’t it? I think…) Though I do felt sorry for Negros who in fact had a lot of damages and casualties…😦
What happened after the earthquake?
After the Earthquake, Cebu was actually fine! Though some people were a bit frightened about it.
“Fine” in terms of no buildings were down, not so much casualties, but some infracstructures were cracked though hehe…(as what I’ve heard) And I was working at the office totally fine.
AFTERSHOCKS still felt. 734 Aftershocks was recorded as of 6:30AM 2012 Feb 7. BUT only around 4-5 Aftershocks were felt at a maximum intensity level of 3.(too low…)
How some people react?(As what I’ve heard from the local news…)
- Some guy on a megaphone in Cebu downtown area announced the sea-level water was rising!
- Carbon market, Tabu-an area was partially left deserted.
- Some guys in motorcyles roamed around shouting waters had reached Colon area.
- People from downtown spread like wild-fire!
- People hurried towards higher grounds (Busay area, Talamban area, Lahug area)
- Text (SMS) messages, Tweets, Facebook updates spread news on these like wild-fire!
TSUNAMI Alert 2 Level was raised by the PHILVOCS for the the areas Eastern coast of Negros. (now this is way too far from Cebu!)
Note: ALERT does not mean that Tsunami already came at some point. It was just a precaution. Because of the earthquake felt,…it could be Tsunami genic/probable cause for Tsunami. So again, ONLY A PRECAUTION(for us to be prepared…not really something so much for us to be Panic for…in my opinion. JUST BE PREPARED and GET ALERT)
Water level rose only about around 1~3 feet. Not much in compared with the Tsunami in Japan that had happened recently which was about 10 meters!
NOW HERE WE ARE AT THE BIGGER ISSUE…(for Cebu)
the Birth of the CEBU TSUNAMI HOAX…set the whole city of Cebu into PANIC! An End-of-the-world scenario all around, A MAN-MADE DISASTER. And Dang! my favorite coffee shop closed(!?)😦
What happened to ME?
I was perfectly fine at office working when suddenly came barging in my mom! (around 2PM) begging my boss to let me go! Lol. and then my whole family headed towards higher grounds(Lahug area) funny… but I was also touch about how my family cared so much for me. BUT, damages are so much work was left that I had to rush it all a while ago this morning (just to get extra time for this post to be done😄 ) I also got messages sent from friends asking if I’m fine… to where I am at… In such situations, you can tell which are truly your friends!🙂
Now, let me site some probable FACTORS that I have in mind on WHY such HOAX arose and WHY PEOPLE PANIC THIS SO MUCH…
- The fact that its rare for Cebu to have such a strong earthquake felt as this. FIRST TIME! (surprise…)
- Some people think of this way… “Oh no…. its really 2012! Beginning of the End… nuuuuu….!!”(Nope, NOT REALLY. Over reacting duh… blame it on too much on movies…myths and legends)
- LACK OF INFORMATION. CONFUSION. SPREADING ON WRONG INFORMATION. People relied to much on SMS (text messages…)etc, and then easily believing from people in berserk shouting that rose further confusion. PEOPLE PLEASE AND MUST LEARN to be more updated with the actually NEWS from the Authorities or on radios (or anything more reliable…).
- Most of all…. PANIC. PEOPLE Y U PANIC!? 😦 This is because I think Cebuanos were not used to these kind of situations. LACK of drills, practice, knowledge on what to do in such cases…. I think the Local Government should implement a Law to require all schools to educate children, workers in every companies, institutions… Lessons or discussions on what to do… what causes such events.. or any ways to lessen what had happened yesterday.
These are just some thoughts and facts that I’ve gathered so far. Taking into account on what happened.
So how are you today? How’s the people around you?
BUT from all that had happened, God is so good…. And I’m glad to hear that not much causalities are in Cebu. Not much damage. CEBU IS SAFE! Today is again an another beautiful day with the sun shining. All glory to HIM. Our HOPE is always with HIM no matter what happens. WE SHOULD NOT WORRY. And more importantly is to PRAY.
Now for the closing part, this is a GAG that I’ve just made just for fun. I hope you’ll like it somehow😀
Some QOUTES for fun:
“EARTHQUAKES… it’s more fun in the Philippines!”
“Survival like a BOSS”
“Tsunami HOAX! trolling like a boss”